Communications and Development Director
Communications and Development Director
Reporting to and in partnership with the Managing Artistic Director (MAD), the Communications and Development Director promotes the mission of the San Luis Obispo Little Theatre to current and potential donors, funders and the larger community and provides leadership in all areas of development and communication. This person is responsible for all marketing, promotions, media relations, branding and audience development and is an ambassador for the Little Theatre.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- With the Managing Artistic Director, develop an annual budget for all marketing, communication and development activities
- Lead the design and implementation of a diversified fundraising plan to prepare the organization (Staff, volunteers and Board of Directors) to meet ambitious fundraising goals for general operating support and special projects or programs
- Oversee the preparation of high quality and timely grant proposals, solicitations, funder reports, acknowledgements and other communications required to support ongoing fundraising activities
- Plan, initiate and manage Little Theatre’s marketing and public relations activities, promoting and expanding the visibility of the organization and managing the Little Theatre brand for both internal and external audiences
- Build and maintain strong relationships with funding sources; identify and initiate new opportunities to expand the donor base
- Create and execute a strategy for a large, sustained base of annual individual donors; secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Manage and execute strategic sales, marketing and show promotions to ensure sustainable audience development for all productions; direct the creation of show marketing and promotions campaigns including design, writing, concept, social media, and vendor/partnership relationships
- Organize and manage special events
- Execute consistent media relations related to Little Theatre productions, special events and unique performances or events
- Create and manage web and social media strategy and implementation
- Work directly with the Little Theatre Board of Directors’ Marketing and Outreach Committee and Development Committee.
- Create and lead a strategic, well positioned Development Plan for Little Theatre to optimize resources
- Manage the planning and implementation of fund development initiatives including direct mail, planned giving, bequests, major gifts and donor recognition
- Manage Little Theatre donor/funder tracking programs and the entry of data; ensure that donor information is accurately recorded in the donor database
- Work with the MAD and Little Theatre financial advisors to ensure that all funds raised are accounted for and deposited in a timely manner
- Provide active management support and leadership for Little Theatre fundraising events
- Coordinate all cultivation, fundraising and special events
- Work with the Managing Artistic Director and other Staff to determine and pursue specific sponsorship of productions
- Incorporate web based and e-philanthropy concepts into Development and Communication activities
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan that will allow Little Theatre leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences including media and key influencers
- Working with the MAD, implement and manage communications activities that promote, enhance and protect Little Theatre’s brand reputation; promote the mission of Little Theatre with an emphasis on enhancing understanding of and financial support for the work of Little Theatre
- Develop, integrate and implement public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of Little Theatre
- Advance the Little Theatre position with relevant constituents and drive broader awareness and donor support for the Little Theatre
- Direct maintenance and upgrades to the Little Theatre website and public information communications, including social media
- Oversee production of all print and virtual public relations materials including newsletters/e-newsletters, annual reports and information packets
- Ensure consistency in all Little Theatre communications
- Develop and strengthen Little Theatre web presence
- Manage communication tools including e-newsletter, brochures and web site
- Increase the visibility of Little Theatre programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by Little Theatre and work with Little Theatre Staff and leadership to recognize communication opportunities and solutions, to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Develop, monitor and administer department budget, work plans and reports
- Oversee the day to day activities of the Communications and Development functions including budgeting, planning and Staff/Board development
- Ensure effective management, review and analysis of donor statistics and information
- Mentor and develop Staff and Board using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Participate in management of Little Theatre at the direction of the MAD
- Contribute to the Little Theatre organizational strategic planning process.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Talents and Abilities
- Minimum two years management experience in a nonprofit organization with demonstrated expertise in strategic thinking and program planning
- BA in marketing, journalism, communications or related field
- Marketing and communications experience including demonstrated expertise in developing, cultivating and maintaining individual donors, online donor and social marketing campaigns and building corporate relationships and community
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and managerial skills, ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing diverse materials including press releases, annual reports, on line and print newsletters targeting general and specialized audiences, and cultivation materials
- Thorough understanding of and experience in multi-level database management
- Ability to balance competing interests and ideas among essential constituencies including Staff, Board members and funders; exceptional time management, including the ability to manage and meet tight deadlines; ability to set priorities, balance short term and long term objectives
- Impeccable follow-through
- Creative development vision including the capacity to work with others to generate new ideas
- A sense of humor and perspective
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a nonprofit Board of Directors
- Passion for San Luis Obispo Little Theatre’s mission.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid California driver’s license, proof of insurance, clean driving record and reliable means of transportation.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds and carry short distances
- Ability to climb stairs, sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to use hands and fingers to feel and manipulate, such as at a computer keyboard and telephone
- Ability to talk (including ability to respond audibly and call for assistance in an emergency), see (specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus) and hear.
The work environment is quiet to moderately noisy. Backstage and storage areas are dusty. Occasional work outdoors and at off-site locations. Night and weekend work included for performances, Board of Directors meetings, fundraisers and other events.
Salary is commensurate with experience; benefits package available.
Send cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements to: MRSimkins@charter.net subject line: Little Theatre